Thursday, April 3, 2008

The winner, and still champion......

THE PEOPLE OF NEW YORK! AND THE CROWD GOES WILD.

What am I talking about, you ask? Think about it for a second: New Yorkers... champions... you almost got it. Yes, I'm talking about sports. No, not the Yankees, they're chokers, not winners (lately). I'm referring to the only New York sports team in the major three to win a title in this century: the New York (football) Giants.

And what title am I referring to? Yes, yes, you can have your Super Bowl title (begrudedly). I am talking about the title of most obnoxious city (or region). Not only does upsetting the Patriots in the Super Bowl stop Boston (and New England) from becoming the most obnoxious place when it comes to sports due to sheer ego, it fuels the New Yorkers ego by giving them at least ONE other team that isn't horrible at the present more.

You see, had the Patriots scored 4 more points (or prevented the final 7) they would've been crowned as the new champion of the obnoxious sports fan universe. It wasn't hard to foresee: the Red Sox winning their 2nd title in four seasons, the resurgence of the most storied franchise in NBA history (who look to be on their way to hanging up banner 16 ANTIJINX), and on top of that, the most dominant sports franchise of the new millenium putting up only the 2nd undefeated football season in NFL history? That's more than enough to do it right there: and the Sox and Patriots had saved up enough good will to do it on their own in the 6 years prior to this one.


But history was averted. Doc Brown and Marty went forward in their De Lorean and convinced Ellis Hobbs to leave Burress open, convinced Dean Pees to blitz on their own goal line, and told Bill to go for it on 4th and 13. That's how I'd like to remember it anyway.

It's not even about the Super Bowl loss, and all the shame that's bound to come with it next season (deservedly). That's fine... two months ago to this day. We're over it (sniff sniff), regardless of me choosing to write about it today.

No, it's much more than that. It's about all the obnoxious Giants fans I see out now. In a way it's like tasting our own medicine... the Red Sox have the "pink hat" fans who go to the game because it's stylish. We have the casual Patriots fan who could only name HALF the Patriots with the last name of Brady (now they can since Kyle Brady is gone). But this all came after 86 years of paying our dues. New York fans were obnoxious as recently as 2003, and rightfully so. They're back, and with a vengence.



Just a month ago I went to go see Will Ferrell at the Ryan Center at URI. Leaving in pouring snow, I walked by a group of visibly drunk girls. One noted my Patriots sweatshirt, waited until I was a safe distance away (but still within earshot) to yell "YOU CHOKED!" It's the bevvy of Giants hats that I see out and about now... with the wearers of said hats shooting me shit-eating grins when I wear my Patriots sweatshirt. The faces are familiar... the hats are not. I want to ask.... "Where was that hat in December?"

You see, the day after last year's AFC Championship Game loss to (Professor Pennell's) Colts, I wore my throwback Rodney Harrison jersey. I did the same the Monday after the crushing Super Bowl loss. I wore it... with pride. During a class last semester, there was one guy who would wear a ratty Yankees leather jacket to class every week. When the Yankees made their run in early September, he added a hat to the mix.

He even got a bit obnoxious, despite their continued position of 2nd place in the standings. He predicted future victories should the Red Sox be "lucky enough" to survive to meet them in the ALCS. Once the Yankees fell victim to the Cleveland Indians, the hat and the jacket, disappeared. Part of me wanted to razz him about the weather getting colder and him maybe needing a leather jacket to warm up... but I didn't force the issue -- for fear of his mental state. Even after the Red Sox won the World Series I stayed mum... I didn't have to, but I did.

So enjoy it now, Giants fans. The world is yours for 10 more months. Don't waste the opportunity.

No comments: