Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Don't touch me you open-source freak.

Has it happened? Yes, I've been using Linux for quite some time now... but I never thought I would turn into one of those people.... and I think I still haven't... yet.

If you don't know what I'm talking about -- I'm talking about those hippies who use Linux to "fight the power," and to work against the "establishment." You know those people in the Apple commercials who obnoxiously claim they "think different?" These people are 100 times worse, and would make commercials railing against those Apple hippies.... if commercials didn't cost money.



Yes, I use Linux because it's free. I have no qualms about Windows costing money. This is a dirty little secret that most Linux fans don't want you to know.... some Linux distributions cost money as well! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! It's not about that.

I use Linux. I've used Windows. It doesn't deeply offend me that you still use Windows. I could care less. I use Linux because I'm a control freak and love being able to customize every pixel of my desktop. That's not for everyone, and that's fine.

I recently reformatted my girlfriend's laptop for her and, with her blessing, installed Ubuntu. She loves how her window borders are pink and "cute." She, like most people, is a blank slate. She may get lost using Linux, but she would get just as lost using Windows.

In fact, while setting up her internet, I had her run "ipconfig" on her Windows machine (which confused her as well, as she couldn't find the "Windows machine" on her Ubuntu desktop). When she ran it, I asked her what the number for her "default gateway" was. She informed me that her computer wasn't a Gateway, but was a Toshiba. I was dismayed. This, my friends, is a fellow Linux user, but hardly a hippie... just virus-prone and needed to be protected from herself.

So please don't group me, or her, into the demographic of Linux hippie. I am not, nor will I ever be, a Linux hippie.... and that is relieving. I just like customizing my stuff... and doding viruses no matter how promiscuous my laptop wishes to be.

No comments: