Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Super Smash Bros Brawl: I'm not mad, I'm just...... disappointed

Don't take this the wrong way SSB Brawl... it isn't your fault. It's just that Super Smash Bros Melee, your predecessor for the Nintendo Gamecube... was just so... perfect. There was bound to be a letdown. Maybe I'm jus the only one I know not wearing Nintendo-colored glasses and can see this game for what it is -- a step backwards from Melee.

Like I said Brawl... it isn't your fault. Melee just did so many things so well. And as is the case with many Nintendo series... if things aren't changed, Nintendo gets criticized for standing pat. Nintendo critics probably aren't familiar with the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."


Yes, I'm aware that this game has more characters than any other Smash title before... including outsiders like Snake and Sonic.... but there are also trash characters like Ice Climbers, who make a re-appearance though being abhored by.. EVERYONE.... with new additions to the crap character list like Wolf, Olimar, and Lucas. Speaking of crap characters... there are three, count them, THREE, Kirby characters. I have no problem with having three characters (okay I do), but all three are unlocked from the beginning.... yes, 3 of the some odd 18 starting characters are Kirby'd. Yes, I know HAL makes both Kirby and Brawl... but jeez.

I would go into, at length, why the different control schemes actually hurts the game... but all it would do is hurt me as well. You see... I tried to like this game.... HARD. I had every reason to. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Don't mind me... I'll just be in the corner weeping and mourning what could have been.

No comments: